Do Not Ever Do This To Your Windshield!!Nov 26th, 2019
Winter is coming…and that means many of you, will have to de-frost your windshields in the morning. This process can be agonizing and panic inducing if you fear being late to work. However, there are several great tips and tricks for getting the job done fast and easy. However, I cannot stress enough, don’t ever, ever pour hot water on your windshield to clear off the ice and snow. This is a disaster waiting to happen. Extreme temperature adjustments to glass can result in devastation so don’t listen to the sites that tell you to pour boiling water on your windshield. This cannot be stressed enough, do not under any circumstances pour hot water on your frozen windshield. Your windshield will break, and you will be left with an even worse morning than had you just scraped off the ice.
- Isopropyl alcohol mixture
- Isopropyl or rubbing alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, -89C. Since it’s very unlikely that you live in a place that reaches this abominable temperature, a mixture of 2/3 part isopropyl and 1/3–part water will clear away ice like it’s nothing.
- Preventative mixture
- If you mix 2/3 parts white vinegar to 1/3-part water, you get a mixture that’s great at preventing your windshield from icing up. Put this on after you get home from work or before bed and in the morning, your windshield should hopefully not be frozen.
- Windshield covers
- Instead of spraying your windshield, you can buy a cover that will prevent ice from forming. These are insulated sheets that don’t allow ice to form on the surface of your windshield, you place them on the exterior of your car, usually there are flaps you close the door on so it doesn’t get stolen, and by the morning your windshield should be ice free. If you don’t want to pay for one, you can always use cardboard. Just plop some on the exterior and tie it down somehow.
- Smart Parking
- This will only help if you leave after the sun rises. Park your car facing east so the rising sun can thaw the ice, even if it’s just a little bit it might make your morning a tad easier.
Whether you choose to follow any of these tips is up to you however, if you’re not sure about a certain method, scraping off the ice using the traditional method is the safest choice. Sure, you might be late to work but at least your windshield isn’t all over the ground.